It is always difficult for migrating from one CMS to another! Even I took about 6 months to prepare myself for shifting from Blogger to WordPress. I know it was a long time, but I finally succeeded in a clean migration from Blogger to WordPress without loosing any traffic. For a proper migration you must be ready to take on any challenges that come your way. So, Let me give you some tips to prepare yourself for the shift:
- Get information about what Self-Hosted WordPress is all about.
- Get a temporary domain Name. Dot CO.CC is preferred.
- Get a web-hosting account and Install WordPress on your Domain name using Fantastico De Lux.
- Start using WordPress on that Domain name.
- Get information about Plugins and Themes in WordPress. Understand How to use them and Start using it. (Which directories are used to store them and How to activate and Modify them)
- Understand how Permalinks and Other settings work in WordPress.
- Test various Plugins which you are planning to use on your New Permanent Blog (which you will shift from Blogger to WordPress)
- Test the theme which you are planning to use on your Final blog, and edit it as per your needs.
- Write about 5 posts to get used to the WordPress publishing Platform.
- Understand the different Compatibility issues between the different Plugins and Themes, and How to solve them.
- Make a note of every difficulty you face while working with WordPress and Solutions to your problems.
- Understand and Accept the fact that WordPress is different from Blogger or any other Publishing Platform and getting used to it will take some time. Don’t lose hope if you are getting confused.
Following this small Advice will help you stay calm after your Final shift from any CMS to WordPress.
This is the First Part in the Blogger to WordPress Migration/Conversion Series. Stay tuned for the exact Step-by-Step guide of the conversion and the Changes you need to make after successfully migration to WordPress from Blogger for proper functioning of the CMS.
Image credits: Million Clues