The present generation relies on Smartphones, Tablets and other Mobile devices for most of their work and to stay connected over social media platforms. The ability to store passwords and manage personal data is good for the online experience but they too pave a way for a hacker to target it, so as to get all things under one roof. So, how can we stay secured in this environment where the attacks have a multi-dimensional approach and there are only a few known measures to tackle them? Here are some tips on how to protect our privacy and feel secured while using Multiple Smart/Mobile devices.
In most cases it is not possible to block primary access to your device, as the same device is used by different people. Some of the common measures we can take are to secure our devices without making them physically inaccessible are:
1. Password protects your Device. Most of the Mobile phones and personal devices have an option to set a password to lock the device. Use this feature to stay more secure from offline intervention.
2. Enable Auto Lock in your device. This will help the device to get automatically locked(after a pre-defined interval of time) in case you forget to lock it down.
3. If possible install a Mobile Tracker and keep the IMEI number in your Diary. In case your device gets Stolen the tracker installed in it will automatically send a message to the number provided inside the device without the knowledge of the Thief and you can track him/her down in no time.
4. Encryption is another way in which you can secure your data. Say for example, if someone gets access to your device and tries to steal your files, the data will not be of use to them. The best thing about encryption is that different programs encrypt data using different algorithms! So, the data encrypted using one algorithm cannot be decrypted using another one. The passwords for encryption is known only to the person who has encrypted the data so, no-one else can decipher it.
5. Do not install any unknown applications. There are many Apps and Programs which can harm or steal data from your mobile. Always remember to cross check the authenticity of the program from trusted sources. Your ignorance can lead to a security breach!
7. Do not download and share files across unknown networks/devices. If the transferring device is infected or if the network is compromised, chances are that they might bring in some malicious code with them, which can be used for compromising the security of your Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone or any other Mobile device.
8. Visit web address which are verified and do not fall for “Click Me” traps. They have the ability to execute codes inside your browser which can steal information online. Always look for security certificates (like Verisign or McAfee) for sites which expect you to reveal sensitive details like Credit Card numbers and Telephone numbers!
9. Always keep your device updated. Look for updated Firmware and set the Automatic Updates ON for your Antivirus program. This will keep your device secured from new viruses and threats. This is one of the major security aspects to keep in mind as 90% of the attacks can be handled if you keep your device and antivirus updated.
10. Finally, always keep a smart look over the Wi-Fi connection. If you are using an unencrypted connection, the device which you are connected to has the ability to read and modify every bit of data that is being transferred. So, always keep your WiFi secured preferably using WPA2 authentication!
If you are wandering around the city and find an open wireless connection do not try to use the connection for Email and other personal/official use which requires a username and a password to be entered; normal casual browsing is okay, but better if you can avoid it. Unsecured networks are can lead to hacking attacks as hackers are always keeping an eye on those!
If you’re like me, you’re addicted to your smartphone, tablet, maybe even your laptop. What is your best tip for keeping all of your devices protected? Comment below and you’ll be entered to win a $400 Amazon gift card from Kaspersky Lab.
One way to protect all of your devices is with Kaspersky ONE Universal Security. Download your FREE trial
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KasperskyLab. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.